Nandi: Bodies of three miners who died in gold-mine explosion retrieved
- During the explosion, six other miners were injured and are admitted in hospital suffering from burns, fractures and bruises occasioned by the blast by illegal miners.
- The bodies of the deceased miners were taken to Nandi-Hills County Hospital mortuary.
The bodies of three people who died on Monday, January 23 after a gold mine explosion in Chemase, Nandi County, have been retrieved.
Confirming the incident, Tinderet sub-County Police Commander Abdulahi Jire says the bodies - of Kerebe Gold Mine Ltd employees - were removed from the rubbles at 3am Tuesday, January 24 by police and members of the public.
During the explosion, six other miners were injured and are admitted in hospital suffering from burns, fractures and bruises occasioned by the blast by illegal miners.
The bodies of the deceased miners were taken to Nandi-Hills County Hospital mortuary.
In a statement, the Kerebe Mining Company condemned the incident in which the illegal miners blasted an underground wall without due procedure.
The firm says that the wall was built to prevent the mine against flooding and incursion by illegal miners.
The company further protested over the inability by those responsible to secure their licensed area.
"We have in several occasions asked the security in the area to protect Kerebe Company from a confrontation with the illegal miners," the statement read in part.
However, the police blamed a family who had earlier leased their land for mining to the Kerebe Gold Mines before cancelling it.
Jire said the current problems were as a result of the family of Mzee Cheseret Korir who has a temporary mining permit.
"The artisan licence was suspended due to security concerns by the Tinderet security committee as they were illegally entering the mining area of Kerebe," he said.
It is reported that the family had enlisted Chinese nationals to mine using their temporary licence hence the suspension of their permit by the government.
There have been repeated attacks targeting the British conglomerate mining firm.
In 2021, property was destroyed during a night arson attack by illegal miners.
Staff houses, offices, vehicles and electricity into the mines were destroyed.
- Advertisement -